in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, March 25, 2016

ARC Review: The Fire Between High & Lo by Brittainy C. Cherry


The Fire Between High & Lo is my first Brittainy C. Cherry Book. This is the second book in her Elements series, but it can be read as a complete standalone. I had heard such great things about Brittainy's books and especially The Air He Breathes that I knew I wanted to read this one. Brittainy has a great writing style and there was a lot that I really liked here. I will say that I did have some issues with this book though, and there were some things that didn't work as well for me.

Alyssa and Logan come from very different backgrounds, but have been friends for a long time. Not only are their families different, but Alyssa and Logan are opposites in almost every way. When Alyssa saw the darkness in Logan she never gave up on him, and their friendship turned into something more. Things worked until Logan made a decision that changed everything when he threw them away.

I don't want to go into a ton of detail here so as not to spoil the story, but I had a tough time with these characters at times. I loved that Alyssa saw Logan for more than just what most people would see. She supported him through everything and she never gave up on him not matter what. But she was constantly giving here, and unfortunately Logan didn't have much to give in return. Their relationship felt so imbalanced to me and while I understood him needing her more, I wanted something to give where that was concerned even though I knew he just wasn't capable. It was really hard to like Logan at times, and unfortunately that made it hard for me to connect to him. I loved that these two were friends though, and that their relationship grew from that. It wasn't a case of insta-love, and for that I was grateful. 

I think my biggest issue here though was that I really liked the beginning and the ending was good too, but I felt like this book sort of lost me with the middle. I put it down and walked away a few times and came close to almost calling it quits, but I am glad that I stuck with it. I think that this story had the potential to be amazing all the way through though, so I was disappointed with how much I struggled in the middle. This book is broken into parts, and it almost felt like completely different stories at times. It just didn't feel entirely cohesive and I think that is part of why I had problems. I still thing that it was good, but I think maybe my expectations had been high considering what I have heard about previous books from Cherry. I will still look for more from her in the future, and I can't wait to read The Air He Breathes. I think that this one is worth giving the shot and that a lot of people will really like it especially if they stick with it.

**ARC Provided by Give Me Books Promotions**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle





0 comments :

Post a Comment