in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, July 11, 2013

ARC Review: For Love or Money by Cathy Perkins


When Holly Price trips over a friend’s dead body while hiking, her life suddenly takes a nosedive into a world of intrigue and danger. The verdict is murder—and Holly is the prime suspect.

Of course, the fact that the infinitely sexy—and very pissed off—cop threatening to arrest her is JC Dimitrak, who just happens to be Holly’s jilted ex-fiancĂ©, doesn’t help matters.

To protect her future, her business...and her heart...the intrepid forensic accountant must use all her considerable investigative skills to follow the money through an intricate web of shadow companies, while staying one step ahead of her ex-fiancĂ©. She better solve the case before the real killer decides CPA stands for Certified Pain in the Ass...and the next dead body found beside the river is Holly’s.

I have to admit I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting into with this book, but it sounded great so I knew I wanted to give it a chance. For Love or Money is the first book I have read by Cathy Perkins and if I'm completely honest, is nothing like what I was expecting. The books heroine Holly is temporarily back in her home town to help her mother run the family accounting business after her father runs off with a yoga instructor. While in town Holly begins dating Alex, and while hiking and hunting one day they stumble across the dead body of Marcy, one of Holly's friends. When the cops show up, the lead detective just so happens to be JC, Holly's ex who broke her heart. As Holly and JC both work to find Marcy's killer, they both begin to realize that maybe they still have some unfinished business with each other.

I found this book to be extremely long. There were several times throughout the book that I wanted to skip ahead, and honestly I probably wouldn't have missed much if I had. Some things were completely unnecessary and just seemed to really drag. I also thought the book had several points that just felt disjointed. It would skip around and didn't seem to flow well. Part of the problem for me was that there were just so many characters and too much stuff happening to really follow what was going on. I also just couldn't get past all the times that things or characters were brought up to just be dropped. There was no resolution between Holly's family and her father never made an appearance. It was never said if Holly would be returning home or if she had decided to stay in her home town. She had a stalker from home that was glimpsed throughout the book and he just disappeared. The same happened with Alex, the guy she was dating at the start of the book.

I also found the relationship between Holly and JC to be lacking as well. There was very little emotional connection or physical interactions between the two of them. I was wanting more romance and sadly there was very little to be found. Even towards the end when it looked as though there would finally be some, it pretty much just abruptly stopped like many of the other parts of the book. By the end of the story Holly was really starting to get on my nerves. She was constantly acting naive and running off doing things that even a teenager would know better than to do. I really felt like I was reading a young adult novel through parts of this story.

Overall, this book just didn't seem to keep my interest or attention. I finished because I really wanted to find out who had killed Marcy and what had happened. But if it hadn't been for that mystery, I wouldn't have finished this one. I will admit that I didn't completely see the end of this book coming. But part of that is because I didn't expect for the disappearance of some of the characters. This book read more as suspense than romance, and I just found myself missing that connection between the hero and heroine. If you are looking for suspense this might be one you would consider reading, but if you are looking for romance I would recommend that you pick something else.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iTunes |


0 comments :

Post a Comment