in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, March 14, 2015

ARC Review: The 27 Club by Kim Karr


I will admit that I am a huge fan of Kim Karr's and have loved every book in her Connections series. When I heard she was writing a new standalone story, I couldn't wait to read it. I knew it would be good after I saw the cover and read the blurb. I was instantly intrigued since it sounded so different from anything I have read. I really enjoyed it, and I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend anything by Kim Karr, and if you are looking for something different then I would definitely give this one a shot. 

Zoey and her brother grew up hearing about the curse their family had. Many members of their family died young and tragically at the age of 27 and until her brother died also, Zoey had never really believed it. Since she turned 27, she has started to worry that she will suffer the same fate. Now Zoey only lives for the moment, afraid to plan a future that she is unsure she will have. When she meets her brother's best friend Nate, she knows that she wants him. He doesn't do relationships, and she isn't looking for one. They agree to spend the summer together, but before long they are both starting to feel more for one another than what they agreed to. Zoey finally has something to live for and wants to see where things go with Nate, but does destiny have something else planned for her?

I have to be honest in that I liked Nate, but didn't love him as much as I think I could have. He had some really sweet moments and I would think he was so great, but then he would do something to ruin all the progress he had made. I think the biggest issue with him was the fact that he was so hot and cold with Zoey. His actions were so contradictory that I just couldn't figure out what he really wanted. I think part of that was the fact that this book didn't give us his POV. I think if I had been able to see inside his head that I might have felt differently about him. I did like him when he was with Zoey, and I thought that they were a great couple. I just wanted to see him figure things out sooner. Zoey was strong and smart, but she was also really struggling with her circumstances. She had her whole world fall apart, and not only was she grieving her brother but worried about her own fate as well. Then she started to try and put things together with what happened to her brother and she finds out that so much of what she thought she knew was wrong. I felt so bad for her, and I was glad that she had Nate to lean on. He was a great friend to her, and it was clear that he was always there for her in that aspect. But there was more between them, and it was good to see her embracing that and wanting to explore it. I just wish that he would have been on board quicker. The chemistry between them was very strong though and that side of them was very clear to see. It was the emotional connection that they seemed to struggle with and it was frustrating since they both felt it but didn't want to acknowledge it. 

Overall, I did think that this was a good story. I never felt like I knew what was going to happen next or how things would play out. I enjoyed seeing Nate and Zoey together and was always hoping that they would work things out. They seemed to really click which is why it was frustrating when Nate would try to run from her. I did feel that Zoey pushed a little too hard at times with Nate, but I can also see that she was trying to help him get over his past as well as figure out what had been going on in her brother's life. The 27 Club was unlike anything I have ever read before, and Kim Karr's writing never disappoints. This book grabbed my attention from the very first word and I couldn't stop reading until I had devoured the entire thing. Kim Karr continues to prove that she is an author to watch, with her emotional stories and unique characters. If you haven't read anything by her yet, I would definitely recommend giving The 27 Club or her Connections series a shot. I think that readers of all romance genres can find something to relate to with her stories. I can't wait to read more from her in the future and see what she comes up with next.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository |





0 comments :

Post a Comment