in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, May 11, 2015

ARC Review: Blood and Bone by Tara Brown


Think 'The Long Kiss Goodnight' meets 'Mr. and Mrs. Smith' and you'll have some idea what you are getting with this book....until the end when shit goes all wrong.

I had actually started writing this review when I was about 70% through this book because I thought it was so good, I didn't want to forget all the effusive praise I planned to heap on the author. Luckily I decided to finish the book before I finished my review because things went so left in the last 20% of this book, it truly was not funny.

First, plot in super fast rewind: Jane can't remember anything that happened before 3 years ago. She's got a wonderful boyfriend who she loves but can't remember meeting and just one friend. One day people start showing up calling her Sam, and then people start dying and shi% gets real.

I have to separate the first 80% of this book from the end for the purposes of this review because I honestly felt like I read two different books. The majority of this book was extraordinarily well written, intense, well layered pulse pounding action and suspense. I enjoyed the way Jane and Derek's relationship evolved as Jane's memory emerged. One thing in particular I liked was how Jane and Derek's sex life changed as Jane changed.

For the first 80% of this book I was completely enthralled in the mystery. I was trying to figure out who Jane was and who she could trust just as she was trying to figure it out in the book. Every time I thought I knew what was going on, things took yet another unexpected twist. There is one point when Jane feels completely lost and just can't figure out what is real. As the reader you can identify with Jane because you will have the same feeling.

The majority of this book is 5 stars for writing, characterization, pace and plot. It was just stellar BUT THEN things fall apart. I thought a long time about how I could describe what went wrong without spoiling the end of the book, hopefully the following will give you what you need without ruining it if you plan to read the book.

Sometimes too much of a good thing is bad. Like, plaid is awesome but imagine an outfit with a plaid top, pants, shoes and a handbag, that would be a hot mess, right? That's what happened in this book. The twists and turns were great but eventually they defeated the entire plot of the book. Things just turned into a mess. I love mystery and suspense but I do not enjoy reading a book like this where the ending is so far fetched that you can't logically conceive of it. And it's not just that it's far fetched, it literally ruins everything you might have liked about the book. I feel like I'm dancing on the edge of giving too much away so I'm going to quit while I'm ahead. I can sum it all up by saying, I wish I had quit reading before the end. Because there was a good book somewhere in there that got ruined by an over abundance of creativity.

I'm giving this 3 stars because the writing was good and I loved so much of the book, I couldn't bring myself to go lower. Despite my rating, I do not recommend you read this book...or at least don't read the whole thing. Sorry, that's the best I can do without telling you everything.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N |



0 comments :

Post a Comment