in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, August 26, 2017

ARC Review: In the Crease by Toni Aleo


I will admit that I haven't read all of the Assassins series by Toni Aleo, but after reading the blurb for In the Crease I knew I wanted to read it. I guess technically it is a standalone story, though I don't know that I would recommend reading it out of order as I did. While I was able to understand this book, there were a lot of characters and things referenced that just didn't mean anything to me since I hadn't read the previous books, and that had me feeling a bit left out at times...like I was missing something. 

Wren doesn't do commitment and doesn't believe in love. So when she finds herself unexpectedly pregnant and in need of a husband and daddy for her baby, she doesn't know where to turn first. Her brother's best friend Jensen is a great guy though and she knows that he would be perfect. She only needs him to agree to be her husband for a short while until she receives her inheritance and after that he can go his own way with a decent amount of money from Wren. But Jensen has always wanted Wren, even though she was off limits, and he will do whatever it takes to show her that they should be together for real. But can he get Wren to take a chance on a future together when she is scared to have her heart broken by finally letting someone in? 

Jensen was a great guy. I liked him a lot, but he was almost too perfect if that makes any sense. I felt bad for him and really wanted better for him at times. Wren drove me a bit nuts. It was nice to see a heroine that was comfortable with her sexuality and had no problem sleeping with men without having a series relationship. That being said though, she was so insecure and after the first thousand times of Jensen reassuring her it got real old real quick. I was so tired of hearing her worry about being fat or being a whore. Seriously how many more ways could Jensen and her family have said it before she started to actually believe it? For her being a therapist, it just didn't make sense to me. She was really immature at times and it just didn't strike me as being entirely believable. 

Besides my issues with the characters themselves, my biggest problem with this story was that it was just so repetitive. It felt like we were constantly going through the same things over and over and I just got tired of it. Same conversation and self-doubt, followed by reassurance, followed again by Wren once again questioning everything and lacking confidence. I was just over it by the time that it seemed like we got to the end. The story just seemed to move so slowly because of it and at times that drag just really had me wanting to put this one down and move on. Overall, this one just wasn't what I had been hoping for or expecting and sadly was hard for me to get into. I did finish, but there were several times I wanted to give up. If you are a fan of the series, you might enjoy this one more than I did. But if you haven't read the previous books, you might want to read those first before deciding to read this one.

**ARC Provided by Ardent PRose**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes | 





0 comments :

Post a Comment