in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

ARC Review: So I Married a Sorcerer by Kerrelyn Sparks


So I Married a Sorcerer by Kerrelyn Sparks is the second book in Sparks' Embraced series. It is a fantasy romance (which is a very small genre that needs more attention). While I had some of the same misgivings as I had from the first book, How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days, I enjoyed this book more than its predecessor. 

Brigitta knows nothing of her origins. All she knows is her life growing up on the Isle of the Moon with the nuns there and her adopted sisters, and that she is Embraced. Being Embraced means several things. First, she was born on one of the days where the two moons eclipsed, which then caused her to have a magical ability. For Brigitta, this is an ability to know when someone is hiding something, to discover those secrets, and find hidden objects. It also means that should she step foot on the mainland, she is in danger because four of the five kings fears her abilities, and would kill her because of them.

On her way to visit one of her adopted sisters who is about to give birth, her ship is attacked by pirates. She is surprised to find she is a missing princess of Tourin, and her brother, the king, has been looking for her. These pirates think to take a ransom from King Gunther in exchange for his little sister. One of these pirates is Rupert, who has made it his life's mission to thwart King Gunther who he claims ruined his life and family. 

Rupert struggles with his conscience and honor with delivering Brigitta to King Gunther. She is of the same lineage as the man he hates the most, but she appears to be nothing like the cruel man. He then finds out the true purpose for the King's recent search for his sister, and he doesn't want to put her into such a horrible situation. Brigitta is also torn when it comes to Rupert. She despises the way he threatened the people she loves to abduct her, but the secrets he holds close inflame her curiosity. She also gets confused by his pirate side which conflicts with his honorable side.

The romance and passion in this story were very compelling. Sparks was able to create a complex chemistry that worked so well. I found myself needing to know and understand every secret! My only misgivings were the same as with the previous book. Some of the dialogue felt too modern for the fantasy setting. I also didn't like how the book had an intro that spells out the magic system and the land's political standings. In most of the fantasies I've read, you learn about those things within the story so it feels like you're discovering them as you read. This is just my personal preference however; I could definitely see other readers liking it all spelled out in the beginning to help them understand. 

This book was great, and I'm glad I've read it. This tiny genre of fantasy romance needs more material, and I'm stoked to have this installment. It's been quite awhile since a book has captured my attention as well as this one. I can't wait to read the third in the series!

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes |


1 comments :

  1. Great review. I liked this one too. I can't wait for more in this series and I agree with you that the fantasy romance genre needs more attention. ^_^

    ReplyDelete