in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

ARC Review: Call Me, Maybe by Ellie Cahill


Call Me, Maybe is my first Ellie Cahill book, but I have heard great things about her book When Joss Met Matt and I absolutely loved the blurb here. This book unfortunately left me with mixed feelings, and I didn't really know what to think after having finished. While I really enjoyed parts of this book, I have to say that there were things I definitely had some issues with.

 Clementine Daly is used to being the black sheep of her family. An almost scandal a few years prior has kept her under the thumb of everyone in her family, and now she is headed to California to do right by the family with her brother. But just before take-off, her phone is mistaken for that of a stranger's and there is no choice but to spend the week with the wrong phone before they can meet back up to exchange them. Soon though, Justin Mueller is no longer just the person with her phone, but he is also the sexy voice on the other end that she can't get enough of. Justin wants more, and just when it looks like things could go somewhere, he finds out that she hasn't been telling him the truth. But can he get over everything that she hid from him and take a chance on a future with her?

I liked both Clementine and Justin. They had great banter and were super fun to read about. I loved their flirty texts and seeing them get to know one another. I am always a sucker for a romance that starts off with the couple getting to know one another through texts and emails, and these two definitely had a great connection forming. Unfortunately I didn't care for the fact hat Clementine kept the secrets for as long as she did here. At first it was understandable. After everything she had been through and with her family being who they were, it was easy to see why she would do what she did. But as she got to know Justin, it no longer made sense and she even got to the point where she was suspicious of him when he had been nothing but truthful with her. I knew it was going to blow up in her face, and I was just hoping it would come from her. I really don't care for the fact that she never was honest with him, and it came out the way it did without her telling him herself.

I also felt like while the first half of this book was super cute and I was really enjoying it, the second half just seemed to lose everything that I had been loving. It was almost as if the author just ran out of steam, and the story just sort of lost it's way. Though I didn't like how Clementine had handled things, I also didn't care for how Justin treated her either. It just felt like two completely different characters in the second half of the book, rather than those that we had been getting to know in the first half. I ended up rating this book 3 stars, because while the first half was a 4 or 5 star read for me, the second half was more like a 2 star read. I really wish that the second half of this book had been more like the first half, because I was really loving this story so much. While Call Me, Maybe wasn't my favorite story, I will definitely give Ellie Cahill another chance in the future. I liked her writing style and I think that this one just lost it's way a bit.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes





0 comments :

Post a Comment