in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, April 10, 2016

ARC Review: Resist by Missy Johnson


Resist is my first book by this author. I picked this book up because the summary was intriguing. There was a lot of potential but sadly by the time I got to the end of the book I had the feeling that the story didn't quite live up to its potential.

I think the main issue for me in this book was the character inconsistency. It was hard to determine exactly who Char and Jaxon were. Char is in part depicted as this innocent young woman who is terrified of Jaxon and just trying to start her career as a reporter. Jaxon is portrayed as this super kinky heartless man who is probably capable of murder and probably incapable of genuine affection. My issue is that despite Char's fear of Jaxon, she somehow manages to be totally fearless. She pushes all of his buttons and says whatever she wants to say whenever the words pop into her heads. This is always followed by intense regret and concern about how he might react but the cycle repeats frequently during the story. Jaxon is just totally not the super bad guy he seems to be for a couple of pages. I'm ok with dark characters and a cold hero but that is not Jaxon. By the end of the book, Jaxon seems much more like spoiled teenager than a grown man with a coherent revenge plan.

Speaking of revenge, the thing that Jaxon is bent on getting revenge for makes no sense. I don't want to give away what the whole revenge sub-plot is about but it really fell short in terms of the reason for it and the way that Jaxon tried to carry it out. I particularly didn't like the involvement of Kasey in the revenge. It made Jaxon seem super petty and when the whole thing played out, it was just kind of dumb. When an author sets up a revenge plot, I've come to expect many more layers and a logical resolution. That just didn't happen here. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out why Char became a part of Jaxon's plot. Jaxon had like 5 other girls in his harem but swore he needed Char for his plot. First, I didn't like all the other girls and second I couldn't understand why one of them would not be suitable to the revenge plot.

Last, based on the description and cover of this book it seems like you are going to get some super kinky steam. It didn't happen. Jaxon keeps talking about how dirty he likes it but it NEVER comes across in the story. The sex between Char and Jaxon is like 1 step above vanilla and that's being generous.

In closing, there was more potential in this book than there was a good book. Unfortunately, this wasn't one of my favorite reads.

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iTunes |


0 comments :

Post a Comment