in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, June 27, 2014

Review: The Sergeant by Christa Tomlinson


This review is sort of a tough one for me to write and rate. I have become a fan of M/M books and there is nothing sexier than a man in uniform, so when I had the chance to review this one I was really excited. There are things that I both really liked and really didn't like with this book, which is why I decided to rate it at 3 stars. After having read it, I saw that when it came to reviewers so far this book has been either loved or hated. It seems to definitely be bringing out strong reactions, and I think that this is one that most people will just have to read for themselves and come to their own conclusions. For me, I thought that the book despite the things that I didn't like was a really good book and I am glad that I read this one.

Logan Pierce is the Sergeant of his SWAT team. He is calm and collected and handles his handpicked team with efficiency. But at home and behind closed doors, he is a Dom that needs control when it comes to his relationships. Even though he has enjoyed the BDSM lifestyle, he has never given his collar to anyone. But Logan wants his collar on Corporal Clay Foster. Over the last few years Logan and Clay have both watched each other and though there is a mutual attraction nothing has ever happened before. Clay is bisexual and had a past of casual relationships that didn't last long. Logan didn't want to make a move on him before he was ready and ruin any chance he had for a relationship with Clay or ruin their working relationship. When the attraction continues to grow, things quickly become passionate between them. Clay has no idea that being with Logan means becoming a sub though, and things get heavy between them faster than he ever expected. Clay and Logan both have secrets and the pressure of that as well as keeping things at work quiet becomes a huge strain on their relationship. Clay begins to question if he can handle being in the type of relationship that Logan needs, or if it is too much for him to handle. But Logan is determined to convince Clay that they belong together and Clay needs Logan's collar just as much as Logan needs him to wear it.

I really liked both Clay and Logan. They were hot and manly and everything you would expect from sexy SWAT officers. I loved that Logan was so comfortable with his sexuality and that he was able to be so open about what he needed. He never wavered with his dedication to Clay and he was patient with him while introducing him to the lifestyle. Clay was a bit vulnerable and was struggling with being a submissive when he had never been familiar with that before. He was coming to terms with his own sexuality and his desires scared him a lot of the time. I was glad to see that he was able to find the help he needed between Logan and their friends and fellow officers Tiffany and Carlos. He needed to see that what he was experiencing wasn't something to be ashamed of but rather something to embrace. Clay and Logan had a ton of chemistry right from the start, and these two were so freaking hot together. But they were also developing such a strong emotional bond that most people could never understand. The relationship between Dom and sub is something that bound them together in such a unique and beautiful way.

My favorite parts of this story were the characters and the relationships. I loved how unique and diverse the characters were. They were easy to like and root for, and they were also easy to relate to even for someone who doesn't participate in the same lifestyle. I loved seeing the complexity of each relationship and seeing how real they were. They weren't all smooth sailing and that is what made them so believable. I also really loved how hot this book was. A lot of times with Erotica stories they claim to have a ton of heat but don't deliver. That was not the case with The Sergeant. This one had a lot of sex scenes and a ton of steam! The parts that I had trouble with though were the length, and the way the story sort of went in circles. This book is over 500 pages long, and honestly it didn't need to be. Things just kept coming between them and they would have to start the whole trust process over each time. It got to be a bit repetitive and drawn out. I felt like that is probably what lost a lot of readers and I think it hurt the story quite a bit. It has a way of drawing the readers attention away from the story and makes it easy to lose interest. I think if it wasn't for those two things, that this story would be a complete home run. I think that a lot of readers will still really like this book though, and will end up loving Clay and Logan like I did. They are definitely worth the read if you are a fan of Male/Male books and like some hot and steamy BDSM action. I will definitely read more from Christa Tomlinson in the future after reading The Sergeant.

**Review Copy Provided by Book Enthusiast Promotions**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N |





1 comments :

  1. Good to get your thoughts. I saw that the reviews tended to be polarized on each extreme and it made me hesitate to try this one.

    ReplyDelete