in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, September 26, 2014

ARC Review: Healing My Heart by Aleya Michelle


Healing My Heart is the second book in Aleya Michelle's My Heart series and should only be read after you have read Breaking My Heart. Healing My Heart is the continuing story of Roxy and Kade and picks up where Breaking My Heart left off. I will admit that I really struggled with the first book in this series. I had a lot of problems with it, and I wasn't sure if I would continue with the series or not. But when I had the opportunity to read and review this one, I knew I wanted to continue the series to see what would happen for Roxy and Kade.

After having her heart broken by the love of her life, Roxy tries to pick up the pieces of her life and move forward. She is seeing Dylan and although she doesn't love him, he has helped her get through her darkest time. But Dylan starts to change and soon he is no longer the sweet boyfriend that she has come to know and care about and he is becoming controlling and possessive. Roxy begins to feel as though something is off with Dylan and she wonders if she really knows him as well as she thinks she does. When she runs across Kade while out with friends, her feelings resurface for him and she knows that she needs to make a choice in her life. When Roxy breaks things off with Dylan, he doesn't take the news well and is determined to do anything to get her back. With Kade in the picture again, Dylan is determined to see to it that if he can't have Roxy no one else will either.

I knew Dylan was crazy from the start. I didn't like him, and something about him just felt off for me. He was possessive and controlling, and far too clingy. I realize that Roxy had found some relief from her pain in him and that she had grown to care for him, but I didn't understand why it took her so long to see that she shouldn't be with him. Roxy and Kade were much better this time around for me. I liked them both more, and Kade seemed to get over his random personality shift from the first book. He was back to being the guy that we first met and fell in love with, and he seemed to be genuine in his feelings for Roxy. He was really sincere when apologizing to her and telling her that he would earn her trust back in the future. I felt like Roxy was better in this book with the exception of her delaying the inevitable with Dylan. She was forgiving with Kade and she really faced her feelings for him. She was able to see how much she loved him and that even though she was hurt, that they deserved to take another shot at something between them. Kade and Roxy are really hot together, and I loved getting to see them working things out. Kade and Roxy made each other happy, and I think that they fit together in a way that they don't with anyone else.

Overall, I am glad that I decided to continue this series. I think that Kade and Roxy have come a long way in their relationship and as individuals. I will say that this book felt a bit drawn out until Kade showed up, and I found it hard to really get into up until that point. There were also some inconsistencies that really drove me nuts. They were small details, but I thought that they really distracted from the story for me. In one scene Kade and Roxy had been apart for 6 months, and yet in the next it was 4 months. It flipped back and forth several times, and I never was sure which was actually correct. There was also another example where a lime from one scene turned into a lemon in another. It was just little stuff like that that shouldn't have been more than a small detail among many, but because of the mistakes were made glaringly obvious. I also felt like the age of these characters was really ambiguous and confusing at times. It was stated that Dylan was a student of a high school in an article only 8 months old, and yet it is also mentioned that he had a job and one of his friends that they hang out with was from university. The timeline was confusing, and I couldn't tell what was correct and what was a mistake. Clearly if he was in high school only eight months prior, then he was either the smartest and fastest student ever to complete university or there was an error. I know that these type of mistakes aren't the whole story, but when there are that many they add up quickly and become a huge distraction from what is actually going on. I am curious to see what happens in the next story though. I felt like this story had a pretty clear ending, so I am wondering what Aleya Michelle has in store for these characters next.

**ARC Provided by Book Plug Promotions**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N |






0 comments :

Post a Comment