in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, May 31, 2015

ARC Review: Behind the Mask by Carolyn Crane


When I saw all the fantastic reviews for “Behind the Mask” by Carolyn Crane I could not get my hands on it fast enough. I was so excited about this story. I loved the diversity of the characters and the suspense plot. Although I read a lot of romance I usually don’t read a lot of suspense because I find that usually either the suspense falls short or the romance does. That is my humble opinion. Regardless I was eager to read Carolyn Crane because her books have such great reviews.

When I started “Behind the Mask” the fourth in the series, I was a little disappointed. The heroine, Zelda, is disguising herself as her twin sister in order to bring down a famous drug cartel. Zelda and her sister are not close but she is stepping in to help.

Ok, a couple of issues I had with the story. In my current reading slump, I put this story down a couple of times and came back to it. One, it started overly dramatic. The story begins and Zelda is taking tips from her drug- addicted sister so she can pass herself off as a whore. Two, the hero and the heroine meet about 20 % into the book. Three when they do meet they had zero chemistry. The buildup was good but their exchanges were so flat that I had to force myself to keep reading. Hugo Martinez is a tough guy. He knows the dangerous situation they are in and finds it in his heart to help out Zelda even though he thinks she is just a prostitute.

Although the plot seemed interesting I found Hugo and Zelda to fall flat. Their first sexual experience together was so hard to wrap my mind around that I thought it ruined the upcoming moments for them. I’m sure that fans of Crane will love this book, for me, it fell below my expectations.

**ARC provided by Author**

Purchase: | Amazon | iTunes |




0 comments :

Post a Comment