in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, June 6, 2015

ARC Review: Schooled by Piper Lawson


Schooled is Piper Lawson's debut novel and the first book in her Travesty series. This book was a really great debut for her, and I enjoyed it a lot. There were a few things that kept this one from being a home run for me, but it was a pretty solid read and I am looking forward to more from her in the future. 

Alexis Caine thought that her life was on track as she had planned until her boyfriend of four years breaks up with her before their senior year of college. She spent the summer in NY interning for a magazine and trying to forget about Jake. When she shows up back at school, she is determined to focus on her grades and her future fashion design business with her best friend Ava. But what she doesn't count on is Ava's younger brother Dylan Cameron being all grown up and sexier than ever. Though Dylan has a reputation, the two start to develop a friendship and Lex realizes that Dylan is far from what others think of him. But Dylan threatens all the plans that Lex has made, and she is determined to let nothing stand in her way. 

I really liked Dylan. He was sweet and loyal, and a really great guy. He was so much more than his reputation, and I loved that he let others believe whatever they wanted about him without trying to justify everything he did. He didn't need to get them to change their minds, and he was happy to do what he did without every getting the credit for it. I thought that he was great for Lex, and it was great to see him never give up on her. He was exactly what she needed, and I liked that he kept pursuing her even when she would push him away. I had a few issues with Lex, but mostly just because her pushing Dylan away got old. It was clear that she liked him and that they were great together, so I wanted her to stop with the games and just date him openly. I thought that she took it too far, and I felt bad for Dylan at times. These two had so much chemistry though, and I liked seeing their connection strengthen as they got to know one another again.

Overall, this was a great debut for Piper Lawson. I liked the characters and the story and I am interested to get Ava's story next. I could have done without so much of Lex pushing Dylan away and fighting what was between them though. I also didn't like that Dylan was trying to get Lex to be with him, and yet every time that she would push him away he seemed to gravitate back to Marcia. He would say that she wouldn't get it into her head that he didn't want her, and yet it didn't really seem to me that he ever made the effort to get Marcia to back off. I did feel badly for Lex having to see them together at times, but I also felt like that was partly Lex's fault for doing to Dylan what she did. But I was glad that there wasn't cheating and Dylan didn't try to be with Marcia just to make Lex jealous. That was nice and refreshing to see in a NA story. I would recommend this one if you like NA stories and it was kind of nice to see a guy go after his older sister's best friend, when it is usually a guy going after the younger girl. I am looking forward to more from Piper Lawson and the Travesty series.

**ARC Provided by AToMR Tours**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | iBooks | 





1 comments :

  1. I don't think that I have seen this one before, so a big thanks for your review and introduction. I would not have picked this up on my own, but I may really like this. I have read some outstanding new adult this year.

    ReplyDelete