in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, June 4, 2015

ARC Review: A Secret to Keep by Railyn Stone


Railyn Stone is a new to me author, but with the beautiful cover and blurb for A Secret to Keep, I knew I wanted to read this book. I went into this one with no expectations, and I did enjoy parts of this story. While I liked a lot, there were also some things that didn't work for me. I think that Railyn Stone is a promising author though, and I will look for more from her in the future. 

Sloane Davis has been keeping a huge secret from her ex, and she knows that she needs to tell him the truth. Not only does she know she needs to talk to him, but all her friends and family remind her as often as possible. But Sloane had her reasons for doing what she did, and she walked out on her fiance Gates McCall because he wasn't the man she fell in love with anymore. Now that Gates has reentered her life though, she knows that it is time to finally come clean and let him know that they have a son together. But with the awful way they left things, they are both struggling with what being around one another again means. Can Sloane finally let Gates in on her secret and move forward, or will thing end in heartbreak once again? 

I both liked and disliked Gates and Sloane. They each had their issues, and they both had their reasons for their actions. While I was annoyed with each of them at different times throughout this story, I did think that they both made mistakes that any of us would make. They were only human, and each of them had their flaws. Though I don't agree at all with Sloane keeping Brayden a secret from Gates, I do understand that she thought that she was doing what was in his best interest. I think that she should have let him know though before she just assumed that she knew how he would act. But I did really like that once the truth came out that they were both able to begin to move forward with their lives and they both did a pretty good job of adjusting to their new circumstances. The one thing that was clear throughout this story though was the fact that their feelings for one another had never gone away. Though they both needed to talk to one another and communicate better, it was easy to see how much they both still cared even if they didn't want to. 

Overall, this book was good and I enjoyed it for the most part. I will admit that I think Sloane was a bit ridiculous at times and I didn't like her for much of the first half of this book. She was weak and annoying, and I hated that she would admit she needed to be honest with Gates and then use every excuse in the book not to. I wanted her to be accountable for her actions and be the responsible adult she should have been. I also felt like a lot of the first half of the book sort of went in circles. Gates would show up and Sloane would "attempt" to tell him the truth with a reason each time why she never actually did. Then her friends or family would lecture her and she would get irritated with them for saying the same things over and over.Then she would justify her keeping it a secret all to wind up right back where she started again. This happened on repeat, and it got a little old. The second half of the book things started to change though, and I was glad that I had stuck it out to get there. I think that this was a good story that could have been great, but just suffered a bit with execution. If Sloane wouldn't have been so hard to like at first and the first half of the book wouldn't have been so repetitive, I think that it would have been a much better story. I will give Railyn Stone a shot in the future though, and I think that if you can get past the few issues I mentioned that this might be one worth checking out if you like the secret baby trope.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N | 





0 comments :

Post a Comment