in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, June 5, 2015

ARC Review: Behind Your Back by Chelsea M. Cameron


I honestly don't even really know what to say about Behind Your Back by Chelsea M. Cameron. I have read and loved books by her in the past, but this book wasn't anything like those at all. I am still trying to figure out exactly what I think about this one, but suffice it to say I am all over the place. While I found some things interesting and wanted to keep reading to see what would happen next, there were also several times that I wanted to just throw in the towel. Readers should be aware that this is the first book in the series and does end with a cliffhanger, so there are plenty of things left unresolved. 

Behind Your Back starts with Quinn Brand trying to get close to his newest mark. He sees that his weak spot is his daughter, and plans to exploit that. Quinn sets out to meet her, but things don't go as easily as he thought they would. After he finally meets her though, he quickly realizes that things aren't going to go as well as he thought that they would and he finds himself drawn to her in ways he never expected. But he still has a job to do and is determined to do whatever it takes. 

I didn't really feel connected to either of these characters, and honestly it was really tough for me to get into this one. While I was interested to figure some things out, I felt like this story took far too long to get there. For the first 30-50% nothing happened, and there were so many details that I found myself completely bored. I kept wanting to skim or just give up on this book because I honestly did not care at all what would happen. It was literally all about Quinn's boring job of meeting with clients and what he was wearing (brand names, colors, etc.), what he was doing after work and his cat Leo. Then it would be the next day and would repeat all over again. I did like Quinn with his cat and felt that it showed a bit more of his humanity, as did his time with his sister, but otherwise I honestly didn't need as many details with everything going on in his life. I wish that there would have been more happening, because for that first 30-50% of this book I was really confused about a lot. Each time I would think that the story was going to pick up, it wouldn't and I would be disappointed all over again and forced to suffer through more details. 

I will say that I am curious to see how things will play out, and I will read the sequel because at this point I need to know what happens. The end to me was a little predictable though and I honestly saw a lot of it coming. I do want answers though and I am sure that not everything is as it seems. So while I will read Back to Back, I am not sure that I would have started this series knowing what I know now. If you are a fan of Chelsea M. Cameron's you might find this one enjoyable, and her writing style is beautiful as always. There were parts that I genuinely enjoyed. But if you are expecting the same type of thing from her, this book isn't like anything of hers that I have previously read. This one was slow and drawn out, but if you can handle a ton of details it might be worth giving a shot.

**ARC Provided by Inkslinger PR**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iBooks | 





0 comments :

Post a Comment