in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, April 19, 2015

ARC Review: The Consequence of Loving Colton by Rachel Van Dyken


I am a huge fan of Rachel Van Dyken's, so I couldn't wait to read The Consequence of Loving Colton. Not only do I love Rachel's books, but I love a little sister and brother's best friend story. While this book had a lot of what I love about Rachel's writing style, it also had a lot of stuff that didn't work for me. I feel really torn writing this review because it was kind of all over the place, and just wasn't what I have come to expect from RVD. 

Milo Caro has been in love with Colton Mathews since they were kids. Colton is her brother's best friend, and it has always been about the three of them. But the few times in the past that things were even close to what she had always hoped for, she wound up hurt and humiliated when Colton rejected her. Now she is back for her brother's wedding, and Milo is determined to put Colton behind her for good. She wants one kiss from him and then she can move on. But things quickly start to spiral out of control, and soon Milo is finding herself caught in a web of lies with her friends and family. When her best friend Max shows up to help, he makes it his mission to get Milo and Colton together. But with things messier than ever, can Milo get her happy ending or will she lose Colton for good? 

I liked Milo and Colton, but these two had so many issues. They had both loved each other for years and yet they were so screwed up. They never told each other how they felt. The worst part was that there were times that it easily could have been dealt with, and yet they chose not to. Most of that was on Colton. He took ever opportunity he had and just let it pass. Not only that, but he also hurt Milo by saying and doing things that embarrassed her. She felt like he viewed her as a little sister and he never corrected her at all. Milo was immature most of them time, and while it was cute at times it did get old. I liked her character and that she was a bit nerdy and quirky though. I thought that Milo and Colton had a great friendship and connection, and all their fighting and arguing was just years of sexual tension waiting to explode. I just wish that they had been able to talk to one another rather than make assumptions and just let things go for so long. 

My biggest issue with this book though was that it was completely over the top. While it was funny and had some really great banter, it also got to the point of ridiculous. I loved the first half of this book. I seriously couldn't put it down, and I was cracking up constantly. But then the second half of the book just got way out of hand, and I honestly had to force myself to finish. I loved Max and his friendship with Milo, but even that got weird towards the second half of the book. I have no idea what happened or why it continued to just get so bizarre, but it was literally like the author threw everything and the kitchen sink into the story. If it was crazy or ridiculous it happened to these characters, and I am not exaggerating. I really wish that this book would have finished as strong as the first half, but I just couldn't get on board with it after some of the stuff that happened. While I love RVD and her books, this one definitely wasn't my favorite. I did love Max though, and I am curious about his book next. I just hope that it isn't as crazy over the top as this one was because I am not sure I can handle it. I will definitely read more from RVD in the future, but I would recommend other books of hers over this one.

**ARC Provided by Inkslinger PR**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository





0 comments :

Post a Comment