in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, July 5, 2015

ARC Review: Insider by Olivia Cunning


Insider is the first book in Olivia Cunning's Exodus End World Tour Series. Though this book can be read as a standalone, fans of Cunning will recognize several familiar faces from her previous books. While I love a good rockstar story, I will admit that I had some problems with this one. There were things that I liked, but this one ended up just being okay for me. 

Toni Nichols has been raising her little sister ever since she was born since her mother was unable to after they lost Toni's father. She worked hard to get her degree while also managing things from home. So when she gets the chance to head on tour with the popular band Exodus End in order to write an interactive biography for them, she can't wait to finally do something for herself. As soon as Toni arrives, she quickly realizes that she is out of her depth but she is determined to make the most of the situation. Though sweet and innocent, Toni finds herself drawn to Logan Schmidt, the adrenaline seeking playboy of the band. Though Toni isn't typically Logan's type, he finds himself drawn to her in a way he hasn't ever been with anyone else. But can Toni and Logan figure out what is going on between them, or will they realize that it is best to just explore things while on tour together? 

I will say that I had some issues with these characters. I liked Logan and Toni, and I thought that they were great together. But I couldn't really get behind how quickly things happened between them. Toni was a virgin and she pretty much instantly gave it up to Logan, and the way it came off is that she would have given it up to anyone but he was just the first to get there. I didn't care for that at all, and it pretty much turned me off to the whole book. Then Logan realizes that Toni is different, and yet he continues to fight things pretty much the whole way through. He kept saying he didn't want to hurt Toni and that he wasn't trying to mislead her, but his actions spoke to something completely different. While they had chemistry and I enjoyed seeing them get to know one another, I just couldn't ever really get behind their relationship. 

My biggest problem with this story was the length. I thought it was far too long and it really seemed to drag at times. While it was nice to see familiar faces and to get to know the other guys of the band, I think this book focused far too much on them. I kept waiting for it to really shift focus to Logan and Toni, but then it would just go right back to everyone else. I think that a large portion could have been cut from this book and that it would have really helped with how enjoyable this book was. I expect a certain amount of set-up, but I think it is best to save the in-depth stuff for that character's own book. So while I enjoyed parts of this story, I was disappointed with it and found myself losing interest several times while reading.

**ARC Provided by Southern Belle Promotions**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Book Depository | iTunes |





0 comments :

Post a Comment