in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

ARC Review: Sin & Suffer by Pepper Winters


Sin & Suffer is the second book in the Pure Corruption MC series from Pepper Winters. Since S&S picks up after the events of Ruin & Rule and is the continuation of Cleo and Kill's story, these need to be read in order. If you haven't read R&R yet, make sure you start there and be aware that there could be some things spoiled for R&R in this review. I couldn't wait to get more of these characters after how R&R ended, and I loved Cleo and Kill so much. Sin & Suffer was a completely different experience for me than Ruin & Rule was, and unfortunately seemed to be missing some of what I had loved so much at the start of this series. 

S&S picks up where we were left at the end of R&R, with Dagger Rose having taken Cleo from Killian. Kill has been carefully planning his vengeance for years, and is more committed that ever to making those responsible for all of his and Cleo's suffering pay. Knowing what needs to be done, Pure Corruption find themselves in a war with Dagger Rose. 

I had absolutely loved Cleo and Kill in the first book, and I still liked them both here. But I have to admit that I didn't love them as much as I had before, and these weren't the same characters that they were before. Cleo seemed to have lost her spark in S&S, and she just felt like a shell of her former self. Yes she was strong and a survivor, but she also seemed a bit meek and mild compared to the woman we had previously known. She had moments where she seemed to get some of that back, but for the most part she let Kill get away with keeping her in the dark despite knowing that he was constantly lying to her. Kill didn't let Cleo in at all here. He had agreed to let her in and that they needed trust, and I thought that would be the turning point. However he just continued to hide everything from her as the book progressed, and honestly I didn't see the need for it. Cleo was by his side no matter what, and with how supportive she was I just couldn't really see his justification for his actions. 

I also had an extremely tough time getting through this book from 30% to about 70%. It was so slow and overly detailed that I found myself wanting to skim because I had lost interest and was bored. Not a lot happened, and there was so much that could have been condensed. As much as I love steamy scenes, there were so many that just seemed unnecessary during that portion, and I didn't even find those catching my attention. I think that this book easily could have been shorter, and it would have flowed much better and been the second book that I had been hoping for. As much as I had been looking forward to getting more of these characters and seeing how things would go for them, I ended up pretty disappointed after forcing myself to finish just to find out what happened. While I love Pepper Winters and will definitely read more from her, I am sad to say that this wasn't my favorite of hers.

**ARC Provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | Kindle | B&N | iTunes |





0 comments :

Post a Comment