in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Review: Aced by K. Bromberg


I have to confess. When I saw that there was going to be another book in this series, I felt nothing but skepticism. I've read and loved every book in this series but I almost passed on this one because I didn't want it to be one of those publisher driven filler books put out just to make an extra buck off of us. This was absolutely not that!

This book was absolutely necessary to the series and I almost don't have words to express how I felt about it. A lot of people kind of sneer at us romance readers. They lump us into a category of bored, sexually unfulfilled housewives who hide behind smut and fantasy. And hell, maybe that is some of us but our love for this book proves that there is so much more to us as readers. It also proves that the authors in this genre are not just popular because they tantalize us with smoking hot sex, they are authentically talented writers who can tap into the emotional nuances that make us human.

I wondered what Bromberg could do to return us to the lives of Colton and Rylee that would not feel like manufactured melodrama and angst. Don't underestimate this author, trust me when I tell you she found a way to get the job done. I never ever expected what happened that completely unraveled Colton and Rylee, of course they didn't either. The conflict was particularly compelling because it was a poignant commentary on the way women in this society are treated. I was angry and I was an emotional wreck. I was outraged by the unfairness and I was moved by Colton and Rylee as they struggled to cope and connect.

This book is about how the past doesn't stay in the past. Every single word and action has far reaching consequences for us and the present relies on our ability to work that stuff out. The triumph and defeat of the characters in this book is so well depicted, it is gut wrenching. And for those of us who are bored housewives or bored in whatever relationship and looking for a fantasy, this is a reminder that relationships are what we make them.

When you read this book, you are reminded that happily ever after does not mean perfectly ever after. You only get to hang on to the "happily" if you fight for it every single day because some seriously imperfect ish is a life guarantee.

I'm not going to say anything to spoil this reading experience for you. I'm just going to tell you that if you loved this series, this book is a necessary part of it. If you're afraid like I was, don't be. You will be happy you took this journey.

Purchase: | Amazon | KindleB&N | iTunes |


1 comments :

  1. I'm reading this book now...about 30% done and loving it. I was shocked by what happens too! I can't wait to see how this ends! Great write up!

    ReplyDelete