in
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 8, 2014

ARC Review: Upside Down by Lia Riley


When you start this book be prepared to not want to put it down. At least I didn’t want to. I was drawn into it immediately. Talia and her story drew me right in and Bran also adds a lot to the story. Not to mention it takes place in Australia and I love a good book set in another country.

Talia’s life has been turned upside down with the death of her sister. She is barely keeping her head above water. Her Mom has left for Hawaii and her Dad is a shell of himself. And she can’t tell her parents the biggest secret of all, that she won’t be graduating in May. So on her supposed last semester of college she takes a semester transfer to a college in Australia. Maybe getting away from it all will help her deal with everything better, she can become someone else for awhile. Of course “fun Talia” meets a guy after being there a short time, and while she enjoys being with him, he just doesn’t catch her eye or really make a mark on her. However when she meets his friend Bran for the first time she can’t get him out of her mind. Bran is different and he has secrets of his own. Their attraction begins to grow and the book really takes off. But can both of them fight their demons and find love together, or will they both be stubborn and hard-headed and go their separate ways?

I liked Talia from the start. I know she has issues and it was interesting to learn about them little by little. And wow at one point you really understand why she has issues. Bran was also great. He’s different, he’s caring, but he’s not sure he’s ready to open his heart. Again you have to learn about him a little at a time. The buildup for both characters is well-paced and kept me reading just to find out more about them. I would say that while the romance is important in this book, I think the characters are more important. Learning about them, seeing them grow and change is really what this book is about. I have a feeling more of the romance will be explored in the second book.

The romance is important. They fight it at times while they try to decide what they both want and need. As the reader you know they need each other and they are well-suited to each other, but they have to figure it out themselves. I thought the book was well paced and the romance was interesting. I definitely could not wait to see how it turned out and the plot had me in knots at times. It’s definitely a book that will put your emotions through the wringer, but in a good way.

Upside Down was to me, simply amazing. It was a book I did not want to put down and now that it is over I cannot wait until the next book. It’s ending does bring a conclusion to this part of the series, so you aren’t left hanging, but there is more to come and I can’t wait to read it in Sideswiped which comes out in October. If you enjoy complex characters and New Adult Romance then run, don’t walk and get Upside Down when it comes out!

**ARC provided by Publisher**

Purchase: | Amazon | B&N |




0 comments :

Post a Comment